The World We Imagine Part 1
The World We Imagine Part 1
In high school, I was heavily drawn to, and quite frankly obsessed, with gender-related issues. My interest stemmed from my own upbringing. At a young age, learned about my grandparents' disappointment when they found out I was a girl baby. I always heard my parents arguing because my mom was not happy in the marriage, and she felt like her potential in life was cut short simply because of society's expectations of her as a wife and a mother.
Through theatre and performing arts, I explored and played a lot of complex female characters, such as Lady Macbeth and Nora from A Doll's House. Through the lens of fictional female characters, I was able to reflect on real-world gender-related issues and topics. I realized that, to an extent, women still struggle with the same thing in our world today from the times when those literatures were created. At its core, we struggle with the pressure to conform to a societal standard, and this struggle is not exclusive to women but to all people. In the past, women have to conform to social expectations of getting married and becoming housewives. Today, I feel like the expectation has either flipped or even increased. There is a sense of pressure for women to find success in their long-term careers instead of dedicating their whole lives to their families and domestic work. Sometimes, there is an increased expectation for women to both excel in their careers and families, which is near-impossible to achieve. To me, women's empowerment is not just about career and economic empowerment. It's about granting more options to women on how they live their lives.
Societal standards are constantly changing, and they often over-generalize people into broad categories like gender, race, and class, which are not representative of who each individual is. I often wonder what if there are husbands out there who might want to be a stay-at-home dad but are discouraged too because that would emasculate them. What if there are women who are suffering at their 9-5 jobs when they really just want to be home with their newborn baby all day long, but they are scared to be judged by others for not being the "modern woman." More importantly, social standards only exist because we as individuals empower these standards and judge each other based on them.
Therefore, in my imagination, I think if people (including myself) can become more open-minded to accept people's differences in who they are and what they are, a better world can be created. Freedom is a main driver of my happiness. Instead of limiting our dreams in life to what the standard or expectation tells us, I want everyone to have the freedom to unapologetically dictate what is the ideal lifestyle for them.
There are many issues in the world that can be tackled, but I chose this topic because I want to do something that will be relatable to my immediate community: family, friends, and college students who are all in the process of finding their ways of life.
Hi Judy, thank you for sharing! I completely agree that we must shift our perspectives and become more open-minded to accept people's differences in who they are and what they want to become, as well as allow people to dictate the ideal lifestyle for themselves. It is interesting how societal standards are constantly shifting and yet people will always have something to say if it doesn't align with their standards. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteHi Judy, I enjoyed reading your post! Your call for open mindedness and acceptance is a defiantly a timely one and I agree that if more people embraced these qualities, we would have a better world. I thought it was really interesting how you mentioned that playing complex female characters led you to reflect on these issues. This is a great example of how if we are able to put ourselves in someone else's shoes, that is when we can develop true empathy. Great post!
ReplyDelete