Book 2 Post 2: Learning From Our Ancestors
The book I chose to read is The Wayfinders: Why Ancient Wisdom Matters in the Modern World by Wade Davis.
In my second post, I will be discussing two chapters that I found particularly interesting, followed by a personal reflection I had during spring break.
Chapter 3: Peoples of the Anacondas
The first chapter that caught my attention is chapter 3 named "Peoples of the Anacondas." The chapter describes the first European descent down the Amazon. The explorers encountered many hostile indigenous communities, including battles led by female tribe members. However, European publications refused to acknowledge the existing indigenous culture and civilizations, shielding most of the explorers' experiences from the general public.
The chapter was interesting because it depicts the concept of "Eurocentrism" very well. The Europeans arrived at an unknown territory not with an open mind to learn, but with an arrogant attitude to conquer. Such mentality caused them to disregard the value of indigenous culture, refusing to believe that the original population had found a wise, harmonious way to co-exist with Amazon's dangerous yet fascinating nature. The Europeans continued to believe that their way was the best way, which inherently lacked respect towards nature. This mentality has proven problematic in the long term as Amazon continues to face serious issues of deforestation and exploitation of its ecosystem in modern society.
Chapter 4: Scared Geography
Chapter 4 talks about the indigenous culture in British Columbia, Canada. I really enjoyed this chapter because I grew up in the province of BC and have learned about Canada's indigenous history throughout high school. So it was interesting to hear about the author's perspectives.
This chapter talks about the cultural differences in how natural resources are perceived. The settlers in BC, until today, have been exploiting BC's salmon rivers and forests for natural resources, turning resources into profit. This is because Europeans live in a resource-driven economy, where nature has no value unless it brings materialistic and practical benefits. However, indigenous people value nature in a much more spiritual and emotional way. I remember learning in school about how each animal represents different spirits and energy to the indigenous people. To them, animals have souls. They are not just food and fabrics to humans. When I drive down the BC highways towards the indigenous reserved land, I often see people holding up signs to protest against companies and the government for dumping toxins into the rivers and exploiting the forests. I remember watching documentaries about how most water in these indigenous reserves is toxic, especially harming children and the elderly.
While there has been increasing awareness surrounding indigenous culture and issues in our Canadian education system, there is still a lot of repair that needs to be made to preserve their natural land.
Personal Reflection: My Trip to South Africa
Over spring break, I took a trip to South Africa, visiting Durban, Johannesburg, and Cape Town. I made a stop at Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden, and this experience reminded me of Davis' book.
At the corner of the garden, there were two sections: the garden of fragrance and the garden of useful plants. In the garden of fragrance, I saw dozens of plants I had never seen before, each with its distinctive smell. These plants are used by the ancestors to cure many physical discomforts such as headaches, heatstrokes, and insomnia. The garden of useful plants displayed a lot of species that are used in traditional medicine for child labour, illness, and wounds.
I don't think most people are even aware of the power that these plants have anymore, because South Africa has long been Europeanized and modernized given its colonial history. These plants represent the wisdom of the nation's ancestors, but most of them are lost and disregarded as useless.
Hi Judy!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your reflection on "The Wayfinders" -- I think you do a great job making personal connections to your own life while also addressing the historical context. I like how you first explain what each chapter is about, and then the problems that come from specific themes in the chapter. For instance, I like how you address Eurocentric history and its modern implications with treatment of indigenous groups, deforestation and damage to the Amazon, as well as overlooked medicinal treatments. If institutions took a less Eurocentric stance, they may benefit from traditional knowledge (medicinal/spiritual/lifestyle) from indigenous groups which have thrived for centuries. Overall, great analysis of the text and great post!
-PR
Hey Judy! Your commentary and reflection on "The Wayfinders" sounds amazing! I enjoyed how you explored Eurocentrism and indigenous perspectives, especially in South Africa's botanical gardens. It's eye-opening how much ancient wisdom can teach us and is something I have only learned to value very recently. I am sure that I would be able to make similar personal connections if I were to read the book and your post motivated me to do such. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteHi Judy,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post on "The Wayfinders", especially your reflection when you went to South Africa. I completely agree that while there has been increasing awareness surrounding indigenous culture and issues, a lot more needs to be done to educate and preserve the natural land. I liked how you tied this back to your experience in South Africa about how plants are powerful resources for healing but it is often overlooked because South Africa has been Europeanized. Very insightful post, thank you for sharing.