Chinese, Canadian, and American Like Me: Book 1 Post 1

I am not American, so why did I choose this book?

Even though I am not American, there is something very appealing about the idea of America. America’s appeal has brought me to attend college in LA, and it has made me willingly suffer through all the discriminatory recruiting policies against foreign workers just to stay here after graduation. I lived in China until high school, and my parents decided to immigrate to Canada. Even though Canadian culture is very similar to American culture, something in my heart told me that it wasn’t enough, so I worked like no one else did in my high school to get into a prestigious U.S. college and bring myself closer to the idea of America. Thus, I chose this book with the hope that it will shed some light on what is so unique about the American identity and, more importantly, what being American means to me. 

I have another reason for choosing this book. When I was still a child and lived in China, my mom would watch Ugly Betty every night using the DVDs she bought from an unknown, definitely illegitimate DVD street vendor for 10 RMB ($2). She would tell me about how American TV is so much better than Chinese TV that she thought it was “trash content.” So when I saw that the author America Ferrera is “Ugly Betty,” my decision on which book to read became very easy. 

How do I feel about the book so far?

So far, I have only read the introduction, a section where Ferrera described her experiences as an immigrant child and actress and how these experiences led her to reflect upon her American identity. Less than 20 pages in, the book is already speaking to my heart. Although I didn’t immigrate to the U.S, I can relate to almost every one of her experiences with my own stories of becoming a Canadian. I’ve also realized that there is a difference between Canadians like me and Canadians. I don’t like maple syrup. I prefer honey. I don’t like poutine. I like regular fries. I don’t like Tim Hortons. I like Starbucks. I don’t watch ice hockey, ever. I play volleyball. I don’t use “colour”. I write “color.” Lastly, I never say “aye” like a “real” Canadian does. Whenever people ask me about stereotypical Canadian things and I have to say no, I feel like an imposter, just like how Ferrera felt growing up. Like Ferrera, I find myself in an awkward position. I no longer culturally fit into Chinese society; I don’t feel like a real Canadian; I am nowhere close to becoming an American as I can’t even get a work visa right now. Therefore, I hope that as I read on, the book will bring me some comfort knowing that many people like me are killing it in life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EXPERT ARTICLE: BRAWLSTARS