2 - Job Description
Aritzia Style Advisor
Many Canadian girls dream of working at Aritzia, a Vancouver fashion brand, because of the generous 40% employee discount. After all, who doesn’t want to make money from talking about fashion and cute outfits all day? If that’s what you enjoy, you might want to become an Aritzia Style Advisor.
Aritzia is a fashion retailer that targets women in the age range of 16 to 35 who seek chic professional or upscale casual clothing. An Aritzia Style Advisor is a person who offers purchase advice, executes sales transactions, and performs various after-sales customer services through phone calls, live chats, and emails. The company assesses a Style Advisor’s performance using metrics like the number of customers assisted, amount of sales executed in dollar value, and customer satisfaction rating. Style Advisors typically work 7-hour shifts per day at the Aritzia’s Concierge office in downtown Vancouver, sitting in front of their desk that comes with two computer monitors and a pair of headsets.
During those 7 hours, you will have to perform job functions comparable to the following three roles:
1. The Big Sister
2. The Therapist
3. The Judge
If you know how to fulfill the above roles, you will be a successful Style Advisor.
The Big Sister
The function of a big sister occurs in the following ways:
1. Offering reliable fashion advice in a friendly way
2. Showing support and boosting customers’ confidence
Ultimately, a good Style Advisor is like a salesperson who convinces hesitant customers to hand over their credit card numbers. However, to achieve this, a Style Advisor needs to act as a cool yet friendly big sister that the customer enjoys speaking with. Customers often cannot make up their minds on what to purchase, so they will reach out to Style Advisors to seek credible fashion advice on their item, sizing, and color choices. For instance, if a customer is unsure about purchasing a vegan leather jacket, I will tell them that I bought a leather jacket from Aritzia myself and it has become a closet staple for me ever since, wearing it during shopping, dinner, a night out with my girlfriends, and many other occasions. Sometimes, customers might struggle with confidence in their body image, discouraging them from purchasing dresses that contour one’s bodies. In moments like this, a Style Advisor will try to cheer the customer up to make them feel better about the way they look and support the customer in exploring different fashion styles. At the end of the day, the customers just need a little extra push from a friendly, trustworthy voice to make a purchase.
The Therapist
A Style Advisor’s job is like a therapist’s job in these ways:
1. Curiously listen to the customer explain their situation
2. Empathize with the customer’s negative emotions
3. Actively look for the root problem
A therapist is a person who is a patient listener, which is exactly what a Style Advisor must be when interacting with upset customers. For example, a customer might have already had a bad day at work. When they finally arrived home and opened their Aritzia package, they discovered that the company delivered the wrong color. In cases like this, I will let the customer explain their situation thoroughly while asking inquisitive, guiding questions. I will ensure them that I understand where their frustration is coming from, instead of shutting down their negative emotions with formal Aritzia policy or procedures. I never know what stories to expect from customers. Sometimes, I get to hear the day about a mom who has had enough of her children and husband; sometimes, I get to hear the day about a grandmother who is trying to buy the perfect Christmas gift for her granddaughter. Regardless of the situation, a Style Advisor will aim to comfort a customer’s emotions before negotiating with them to resolve the problem at hand, such as package delays, lack of inventories, or product defects. When a customer feels heard, they are a lot more cooperative and likely to accept compromises.
The Judge
The role of a Style Advisor is much like the role of a judge. Each customer’s situation is treated on a case-by-case basis, which requires the Style Advisor to perform the following tasks:
1. Gather all information from the customers
2. Verify the validity of a customer’s claim through internal data and records
3. Reference company policy and precedence to come up with a solution
Style Advisors are authorized by the company to independently offer remedies to dissatisfied customers: discounts, free shipping, and product replacements. We must use our judgements on when to authorize these remedies by weighing the information available to us. For example, a customer shrunk their sweater by putting it in the dryer without reading the product label which says, “hand wash only.” The customer called the company asking for a product replacement. The sweater was an expensive purchase for them, and they wanted to wear it for the upcoming holiday season. By company policy, it is the customer’s responsibility to read the labels and maintain the apparel. However, by precedence, Style Advisors in the past have issued product replacement as a one-time exception to other customers in similar situations. Therefore, I will look up that customer’s profile in our internal data system. If the customer has never received an exception before, I will grant them the product replacement. Otherwise, I will not authorize the product replacement and encourage them to be more careful with their clothes in the future. Most importantly, a Style Advisor must create an optimal solution that benefits the company in the long term, which might require them to give up the short-term profitability of a sale to make a customer happy and return in the future.
Readability
Passive Sentences: 0
Flesch Reading Ease: 44.1
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 11.8
Hi Judy,
ReplyDeleteIt is interesting to hear about your job as an Aritzia style advisor. I actually have a cousin that lives in Hawaii that had a similar job at Aritzia. Seeing the dynamics of the job, it must have been pretty fun to be a part of.
Hi Judy, I really enjoyed reading your blog post! I liked how you told a mini story with each description of the three roles. I am actually a loyal customer at Artizia and it was very interesting hearing your perspective from "the other side." I had a very similar experience ruining a sweater by not reading the care instructions and a kind store manager granted an exchange and gave me a new one. I can see how this job requires many soft skills and it looks like you learned a lot and killed it!
ReplyDeleteHi Judy! Really loved reading your blog! I thought the roles you chose to describe the descriptions of your job were playful and spot on! I like how you described what a typical therapist is and how that tied into the role you had to take on during your job. Overall, loved reading and strong writing!
ReplyDeleteJudy, the "Big Sister" role as a worker at Aritzia is so accurate because exactly how you described that you treat and interact with your customers is how I have been treated by Aritizia staff when I visit the store. I feel like whatever piece I pull and I question about they come up to me and say something like "oh I have that and it's my favorite piece!", something along those lines, so you described their role to a T.
ReplyDeleteHi Judy! I loved reading about your experience as an Aritzia Style Advisor. I never would’ve thought about it that way, but since you brought it up, this role undoubtedly requires you to be a big sister to many customers. From my experience, the style advisors at Artitzia are always so kind. I can definitely see you helping out indecisive customers all the time. However, on occasion you also must put your foot down (like a judge and a big sister!) , and I’m sure you were amazing at it :]
ReplyDeleteHi Judy! I loved how you described the "big sister" role because it really does seem that way! I find that a lot of retail employees take on a lot of responsibility connecting and listening with their customers. I thought that the role descriptions and titles that you used were super creative and helped me understand the details of each one. Really good read!
ReplyDeleteHi Judy! As someone who loves Aritzia, this was such a fun read and I'm so jealous that you got to work such different roles. I love your description of being the big sister, therapist, and judge because it showed me exactly what you responsibilities were and I can't imagine how you did all of those things.
ReplyDeleteHi Judy,
ReplyDeleteWhile I've never had the chance to visit an Aritzia store, I've heard a lot about the brand over the past few years. Of my friends who do shop the store, they all repeat how amazing and friendly the employees are. Seeing how you've described your role, I see why my friends speak so highly of the store! Treating clients like an older sibling definitely helps create an air of familiarity and comfort, which is rare in most boutiques today. Additionally, the therapist description sounds very interesting! It seems that you are making deeper and more genuine connections with Aritzia shoppers, which is another element which I don't see as much in big boutiques and large chain brands. It's amazing that you've had the opportunity to truly build these strong relationships, and simultaneously use active listening and critical thinking skills to solve problems customers may encounter on short notice. Especially with the "Judge" category, I can imagine some difficult situations you must have had to overcome. Not only do you have to balance representing the company policies and procedures, but also satisfying the customer and keeping them happy. This demonstrates your strong people-skills and problem-solving skills, which is very impressive. Overall, this sounds like a wonderful experience and a great post.
-P.R.
Hello Judy, the idea of being the stylist is super cool although I have never get the chance to see anybody of those or so. I think I urgently need someone life you to give me some ideas about the choices of colors. Whats more, I always have a hard time to choose the correct pair of shoes to match my outfit. Lets talk sometime and please give some fashion advices!
ReplyDeleteHey Judy! I loved reading your job description! I specifically loved the breakdown of the three roles involved -- the big sister, the therapist, and the judge. As someone who loves to shop at Aritzia, I thought it was both hilarious and accurate the way you mapped out how you contribute to someone's buying experience.
ReplyDeleteHi Judy! I loved reading your post about working as a Aritzia style advisor. I think it's very interesting how you compared it to being a big sister, because I completely agree with your description. Every time I walk into the store I truly enjoy the experience of being guided by a big sister-figure who recommends me additional styles and provides compliments. Thank you for sharing your experience!
ReplyDelete